Help on KDE PIM data loss bugs
Posted March 8, 2012on:
There are annoying bugs and there are data loss bugs. The problem with the latter is that if people notice them it’s already too late. So I would like to collect all the data loss bugs for KDE PIM in order to attract testers and help debugging them, i.e. find a way for developers to re-produce them reliably.
Also, knowing what can cause data loss enables users to work around these scenarios and hence saves a lot of anger towards the devs.
So please point me to data loss bugs and test those listed already. If bugs are re-producible and confirmed by several users using different distros they are more likely to get fixed. Please do not add another “me too” to bug reports which already have a confirmation for your distro! Please do only test with current packages, i.e. akonadi 1.7.1 and KDE PIM 4.8.1.
Symptoms: body and attachments are lost.
How to reproduce: Disconnect network while akonadi is downloading an email to move it to a local folder.
- Send a very large (long time to download is needed) email to your online imap account.
- Click on the email to make kmail display the “loading screen” in the preview pane.
- Press DEL to move the email to the local trash.
- While akonadi/kmail are still downloading, disconnect the network, e.g. open the networkmanagement plasmoid and untick the “enable network” checkbox.
- The email you deleted was moved to the trash as soon as the network got disconnected, even though downloading was not finished. Hence the email in the trash lost its body and attachments.
Symptoms: Body and attachments lost when piping through external application and adding headers.
How to reproduce: Filter incoming emails through an external app which adds headers.
- Create spam filtering rules for spamassasin (or bogofilter) via kmail’s wizard.
- Make sure they are applied to your imap’s inbox.
- If possible open your imap account in a webmail interface.
- Wait for new email to arrive and check with the webmail interface how the email is replaced. Do not read it, since the bug is not re-producible with read email or by applying filters manually.
- After akonadi/kmail has filtered the email and added the anti-spam tool’s header, open it in both kmail and the webmail interface. Both show that the body and attachments are gone.
- For bogofilter you have to train it first (marking emails as spam and ham) in order for it to actually add any headers, i.e. trigger the bug.
Symptoms: Headers as well as body and attachments are lost.
How to re-produce: This bug was not tested yet with recent packages and does not state a way to re-produce, so if you know how, please add it.
Symptoms: Emails lost if KDE PIM is closed while copying from imap to imap.
How to reproduce: Copy/move an imap folder and close kmail while the transaction is still in progress.
IMO this could be a duplicate of bug 293768.